SOURSOP NOT SHAWANSHOP
Soursop also known as Graviola or Sasalapa or Custard apple is a large spiky, heart shaped (or mango shaped too) green fruit with white succulent flesh and brown seeds inside that grows in the tropical regions of the world. The white flesh has a creamy texture and a very sweet taste while the brown seeds and green skin are inedible. The unripe fruit is strong and dark green but as it ripens, it gets softer and lighter in colour. It should be noted that the seeds are not to be eaten as they have been shown to contain toxic compounds.
Most of us are familiar with this fruit but it is often ignored as we do not fully know the benefits. These include;
- It is low in calories yet rich in nutrients like vitamin C, B and a number of antioxidant compounds.
- It boosts immunity due to its abundance of nutrients. For instance, the high content of Vitamin C stimulates the production of white blood cells while the antioxidants help to neutralize free radicals in the body.
- It helps to prevent cancer: Research has shown that soursop could have the ability to kill cancer cells and reduce tumor size.
- Antibacterial: Soursop has also been shown to have the ability to kill multiple types of bacterial cells and some yeast too.
- May help to stabilize blood sugar levels
- Helps fight inflammation
- Relieves respiratory distress due to its anti-inflammatory properties which helps to relieve congestion and clear the airways
- Analgesic: It is a common pain relief remedy used especially in parts of South America.
More research is being carried out to determine the full efficacy of this fruit. So, with these facts, I hope the next time you go fruit shopping, you make sure to include Soursop.
Thanks for reading 😇😇
Nutrition, Food & Drinks
Including recipes, tips and reviews!