Does your kid struggle with studies in school?
Do they find it hard to comprehend a subject topic even after explaining over time?
Do you really think that ward of yours is dumb, lazy or slow in learning?
The truth is they are not dull or lazy, they are just having a trial time and require your help to pull through.
That kid of yours finding it tedious to keep up in class can't be regarded as a retard, an idiot or a moron as some do say, that's derogatory and offensive.
It is true that no parents want to see their ward come behind in class. Parents wants the best for them, coming out in flying colors in exams but the bitter truth is, we all are not of same intelligent quotient.
Kids struggling with learning problem in form of acquisition, understanding, reasoning, verbal and non verbal communication are said to be having learning disabilities.
Individual with learning disabilities are just as smart as everyone else, they just have a problem of exhibiting an average ability of reasoning and thinking. It is seen as a neurological disorder that affect how they receive and process information.
It is important to note that learning disabilities affect:
- Oral language of an individual such as listening and speaking.
- Reading pattern: decoding information, phonetic, word recognition and comprehension.
- Reasoning pattern such as spelling and writing problem. Perfect example is when you see some kid write letters upside down or mixing letters up.
- Lastly is their Mathematical ability being affected.
If you suspect your kid having any form of difficulty in reading , letter identification, writing and spelling error. Don't hesitate to seek support the sooner the better.
Types of learning disabilities.
There are broad spectrum of learning disorder, only can be categorized with respect to the signs arising. We will be discussing the common once. They are:
1. Dyslexia: A disorder that causes a person to have problem with reading, they find it hard to comprehend the relationship between letters and words generally affecting their vocabulary skills.
2. Dyscalculia: A disorder that causes a person to have problem with numbers and calculations, arithmetic generally. Individual with math learning difficulty may have problem in telling time, counting and calculations.
3. Dysgraphia: A disorder arising as a result of a person having problem in writing, hand writing and organization problem. They find it hard to write from board consistently.
4. Dysphasia: A disorder that causes a person to lose the ability to spell.
A lots more other type of disorder mostly associated with the disorder caused.
Of course there is no problem that comes without a cause, guess you must have been wondering what actually could be the cause.
Actually all causes of the disabilities can be traced to just three factors which are:
- Hereditary factor: it could actually be hereditary, passed from parents to offsprings. So if either mom or dad are dumb, there are chances the kids end up with it also.
- Environmental condition: It can be as a result of what a child is exposed to in his environment.
Malnutrition factor: Nourishment is also a factor, enough reason proper breast feeding is advised during the first two years of birth.
Learning disorder cannot be cured but managed.
Difficulty in studies doesn't always arise from learning disorder. So once we see any symptoms mentioned, let's take action on time. Visit a medical practitioner of this specialty either a neuro-psychologist or an educational or child psychiatrist.
Do well to report any suspected case on time .
Please do not delay in finding help.
A stitch in time they say, saves nine.
The earlier it's treated, the better the chances of the individual of reaching their full potential.
Learning disabilities is not a stigma. Act fast.
Header designed on Pixel Lab and photo collage app.
Badge property of UU.
Are other communities not relevant to your post? Post them here!